Tummy troubles? Almost everybody at some time or another will experience abdominal pain. Abdominal pain is any pain or discomfort occurring between the lower chest and the groin—or as most call it—the “belly”.
Your abdomen consists of lots of different organs—the stomach, liver, gallbladder, intestines, pancreas, esophagus and numerous blood vessels. It’s easy to generalize abdominal pain since it can occur all throughout the abdomen, or in just a small part of the belly, but properly understanding your pain can allow you to begin to treat it!
Common Causes of Abdominal Pain
From a little stomach ache to stomach cramps, whatever abdominal pain is ailing you, there are numerous causes which may include:
- Stomach virus
- Menstrual cramps
- Food poisoning
- Lactose intolerance
- Kidney stones
- Urinary tract infection
- Food allergies
Symptoms of abdominal pain that are a cause for concern include:
- Painful or unusually frequent urination
- Inability to keep food down for several days
- The abdomen is tender to the touch
- The pain is the result of an injury to the abdomen
- The pain lasts for several days
Abdominal Pain Treatment
Abdominal pain treatment depends on its cause. Treatment options range from medications to changes in your personal behavior. Options may include:
- Medications for inflammation, gastroesophageal reflux disease or ulcers
- Antibiotics for infections
- Changes in personal behavior for abdominal pain caused by certain foods or beverages
- Local or spinal injections of numbing agents or corticosteroids
It’s important to be able to recognize abdominal pain symptoms that are severe and know when it’s time to call a doctor. Make an appointment with My OBGyne if you are experiencing abdominal pain to find out what’s causing it and which treatment is best for you.