Choosing Your Gynecologist: What You Need To Know
You don’t want to trust just anyone with the most sensitive parts of your body. That is why you need to think carefully when choosing your gynecologist. Your gynecologist will help you define huge parts of your health and wellness throughout your life by:
- Screening you for diseases
- Helping you plan a family
- Assisting with or preventing pregnancies
You want to be sure you’ve had all of your questions answered and are completely comfortable before becoming a patient.
Here are some important tips for choosing a gynecologist who is right for you:
Male vs Female
If you have a gender preference, let the practice know when you inquire about becoming a patient. Many providers offer both male and female doctors—be sure to let the office know your preference in advance.
Ask Yourself: What are My Needs?
You may need to find a gynecologist for your annual well-woman exam, to help you through every step of your pregnancy, or the right gynecologist to offer advice if you want or don’t want to get pregnant. Each doctor has their own strengths—bring up your concerns to ensure they can help you with just what you need.
Questions to Ask Your Gynecologist
Here are some ideas for questions you can ask your gynecologist or be sure to research prior to your first appointment:
- Where did you receive your training and certification?
- How long have you been practicing?
- What are your office hours?
- Do you accept my insurance?
- Which hospitals are you affiliated with?
- What is their specialty? If you have any special needs or concerns, be sure the physician will be able to handle those cases such as yours
Your gynecologist plays a vital role in keeping your reproductive system healthy. My OBGyne knows that it’s an important decision when selecting the right gynecologist/obstetrician. The physicians at My OBGyne will provide you with an individualized approach to your care. Schedule an appointment today!